132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
Do you like to travel? Want to join a dynamic team that develops and implements a range of programs that improve physics education, impact policy makers, increase diversity, inform the public about the importance of physics? Then joining the APS Meetings Department that hosts annual meetings attended by thousands of physicists, scientists, and journalists as the Scientific Programs Coordinator is ideal for you. By working as a Scientific Programs Coordinator, you would be functioning as a key team member carrying out the department‘s responsibility of processing and maintaining abstract data seen by people from around the world.
Our Scientific Programs Coordinator will work out of our College Park, Maryland office and will work in a hybrid schedule both on-site and remote as needed.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. This position could require at times in office work, travel to various geographic events and meeting attendance as instructed by your Supervisor. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Prepare abstract data for sorters meetings
- Ensures accurate data entry in the association's electronic files and databases for meeting events
- Generate large data sets and manipulates data using Excel or Google sheets
- Respond to a high volume of author inquiries received by email or phone
- Make edits to abstract data at the request of the submitting author
- Perform data entry including proofing data for accuracy
- Research and creating member account information using our Nimble Membership System and the Planstone Abstract Management system.
- Proofread written correspondence with a strong attention to detail
- Communicate effectively with abstract authors and committee organizers
- Establish and adhere to production schedules and tight deadlines
- Assist with organizing and shipping materials onsite to select meetings
- Assist with additional departmental duties as assigned
Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent required. Associates degree and or Bachelor's degree preferred. Directly applicable experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior association or customer service center experience
- Must have experience in the execution of small to midsize meetings
- Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Proofreading and editing knowledge
- Solid Database entry and word processing
- Customer Service experience
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills
- Well-developed written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules
- Ability to work cooperatively with others, including working well with interdepartmental teams, as well as, independently
- Advanced in Excel and Google Sheets while working with large data sets
Travel: Position may require some percentage of business travel annually to attend meetings and events as directed by the supervisor.
Our physical offices are located in College Park, MD, Washington D.C and Hauppauge, N.Y. We are operational in most US states. We are not operational in all 50 states. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS allows flexible work hours; responsiveness is required, however, during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Social Media: https://www.aps.org/newsroom/social/index.cfm
Amazing 2023 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
- Lifestyle Spending benefit up to $2000.00 (USD) - 100% employer paid
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness insurance
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 17 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- Bereavement & Compassion leave: 2 -15 days based on loss
- 12 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Professional Certification/Recertification 100% employer paid
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
- APS does not offer relocation assistance/costs
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at email@example.com.
The “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” poster, prepared by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), provides an overview of several laws that protect you from discrimination on the job, and several rights are afforded to you by these laws. The “Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision,” prepared by the U.S. Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), provides an overview of several protections implemented to protect individuals working under federal contracts from discrimination when inquiring about or discussing compensation; these protections apply to all employees and applicants. All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption.The APS has a "remote first" concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.. We welcome you to apply today!
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhilanthropyJobs.*