Education & School Liaison: Dari Speaking
Full Job Description
Requisition ID: req42193
Job Title: Education & School Liaison: Dari Speaking
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Compensation: USD 25.00 - 28.00 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA USA
IRC Background: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has a presence in over 40 countries and 27 offices in the United States; the IRC leads the way from harm to home. IRC opened an office in the greater Seattle area in 1976 and provides a continuum of services including intensive case management, employment and economic empowerment services, immigration assistance, health and wellness programming, and education support to refugee and immigrant families in Washington State. IRC Washington is committed to providing trauma-informed, equitable, and accessible services and maintaining and evolving a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace.
Job Overview: The vision of the IRC Washington’s Youth Programs is that youth from refugee and immigrant backgrounds will have the skills and resources necessary to achieve academic success and pursue a future of opportunity.
- Support the school enrollment process for newly arrived school-aged youth into local schools, including transporting families in IRC vehicles when needed.
- Support newcomer families with special or high needs students navigate school enrollment, screening, and placement process.
- Support the scheduling and facilitation of New School Orientations for newcomer students and families in partnership with local schools.
- Support newcomer families to engage with their children’s education, providing systems navigation, advocacy, and facilitate strong connections between schools and families.
- Assist with recruitment, screening, and enrollment of newly arrived families into Youth and other IRC programs.
- Have a caseload of families to support with Family Engagement services.
Program Outreach and Implementation
- Conduct family outreach and facilitate regular Education Cultural Orientations for youth and caregivers on topics appropriate to families and students who recently arrived in the United States.
- Support group programs for families on topics such as the American school system, school enrollment and supporting children’s success in school
- Lead volunteers and interns in parent focused programs
- Connect with school districts to identify contact people, enrollment process, and feedback from school districts to improve IRC’s partnership with school districts and enrollment process.
Administrative and General Support:
- Assist with the collection and maintenance of family documents needed for school enrollment and assist with school application submission.
- Keep current/accurate routine records of the program services and prepare required reports.
- Assist with data collection and tracking to meet funder requirements and for internal program monitoring and evaluation. Help complete necessary program reporting documentation.
- Attend Youth Education Team meetings and complete administrative duties, including but not limited to reporting, timesheets, and expense reports
- Interpret and translate for the Youth program, whenever other duties allow
- Other duties as assigned
- Participate in all program meetings, staff development activities, and fully engage as a member of the IRC team.
- Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols of the agency.
- Ability to drive families with IRC van
- Other related duties as assigned.
- In-depth knowledge of local education systems preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in parent and family engagement in schools, case management, or parenting support.
- Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations; cross-cultural or overseas experience.
- Ability to build strong relationships with families while also maintaining professional boundaries.
- Ability to build relationships and communicate effectively with external partners.
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently.
- Must be proactive and feel comfortable taking the lead
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Reliable, professional, resourceful, team-oriented and sensitive to cultural differences
- Flexible and adaptable – able to quickly problem solve and change plans and activities according to parent and student need or unexpected circumstances.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work well with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain responsibility for multiple tasks in the context of a diverse, fast-paced work environment.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Fluency in Dari desired
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Zoom, or willingness to learn
- Must have reliable transportation and maintain valid driver’s license and insurance coverage for vehicle
- Standard office setting at IRC’s office in SeaTac and remote within the King County vicinity; Occasional evening or weekend activities as needed.
- Need access to reliable high-speed internet if opting to work hybrid from remote office.
- Need access to reliable transportation to travel and work off-site at programs (i.e. schools, apartment complexes, etc.).
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhilanthropyJobs.*