Full Job Description
Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee
Job Description: Volunteer Operations
Department: Development (Volunteer Team)
Reports to: Senior Manager of Strategic Giving
As part of the Volunteer Engagement Team, the Volunteer Operations position ensures an excellent experience for individuals who volunteer in support of the mission of Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee. This is accomplished by providing operational support to volunteers during volunteer shifts. Imperative to this role is a positive attitude, strong interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to interact with individuals from a variety of backgrounds. The Volunteer Operations position may be required to complete other tasks as assigned by the Development Department in support of Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee’s mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must work closely with the Development Department, the Volunteer Engagement Position, Procurement Coordinator and Programs Department. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position.
· Establish and maintain exemplary interactions with volunteers, donors, partner organizations, vendors, and coworkers.
· Ensure all volunteers have an engaging, productive, safe and fun volunteer shift.
· Communicate with volunteers, staff, and community partners to encourage donations of time, food, funds, and voice.
· Communicates with volunteers who are not meeting job requirements and addresses performance issues promptly in conjunction with the Volunteer Engagement position.
· Works with the Volunteer Engagement position to identify volunteers who might qualify as Lead Volunteers, focusing primarily on training and performance.
Volunteer Operations Logistics
· Set up, coordinate, and clean up assigned volunteer projects.
· Speak to large groups while describing the organization and teaching a process, give tours, and work/engage with volunteers during the volunteer project.
· Work with Development, Agency Relations, Programs and Operations departments to ensure project completion and accuracy.
· Create pallet tags for all volunteer projects
· Operates forklift, trucks, and other equipment in a safe manner
· Adheres to the regular schedule for cleaning the Product Recovery area
· Ensure all volunteer areas are compliant with Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee’s Standard Operating procedures as well as FDA, OSHA & AIB standards for personal safety, food safety and cleanliness at the end of each volunteer shift.
· Oversee all day-to-day product recovery projects (Tuesday-Saturday)
· Direct supervision of Lead Volunteers placed in the Clean Room, Assembly Line, and Product Recovery Area when multiple projects are running concurrently.
· Document and keep track of Emergency Food Drive boxes given each month
· Flexible expectations in meeting a variety of responsibilities throughout the day to ensure the success of Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee.
Education, Training & Experience
1-3 years of experience in the oversight and management of a volunteer program. Previous experience working in nonprofit or human service organizations is preferred. Warehouse experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Excellent verbal communication skills
· Must have basic excel, office 365, and computer knowledge
· Must be able to exercise good judgment and discretion
· Able to operate a forklift (or be willing to be trained on a forklift)
· Able to effectively supervise and delegate responsibilities to volunteers
· Able to manage time effectively and to work independently with minimum supervision
· Able to work cooperatively with other SHFB staff, volunteers, and agency personnel, especially with the Volunteer Services Coordinator
· Able to represent the SHFB in a courteous professional manner
· Knowledge of correct way to lift heavy items and possess the physical ability to do so
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties.
Note: Full time staff is required to work special events which may be on weekdays, weeknights, and weekends or regularly scheduled “off” days.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to; finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk to hear; taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; the employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move 50-100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee must also be able to work in both a hot and cold environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.79 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Maryville, TN 37801: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Microsoft Word: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhilanthropyJobs.*