Outreach Housing Navigator (Case Manager)
Full Job Description
Friendship Shelter is a non-profit homeless services agency founded in 1988 and dedicated to ending homelessness in South Orange County, one person at a time. Friendship Shelter operates a full spectrum of services to end homelessness, including street outreach, emergency shelter, housing navigation, financial assistance, and permanent housing with supportive services. We believe in a housing-first and harm-reduction approach and value the unique experience of each client we serve. All of our programs employ trauma-informed principles and are housing-focused, low-barrier and client-centered. We are committed to diversity in our workforce and endeavor to create a work experience that is inclusive, meaningful, and effective at ending homelessness.
The Outreach Housing Navigator is responsible for managing a case load of homeless individuals and individuals at-risk of homelessness. Duties include: conducting an initial psycho/social assessment, creating an achievable housing plan, assissting with housing location, ensuring accurate documentation for the County's Coordinated Entry System (CES), making appropriate referrals to community support services, documenting progress on both HMIS and CalOptima Connect, and providing transportation if needed.
- Provide initial eligibility assessments and ongoing case management to clients through regular appointments and follow-up.
- Assist clients with accessing resources necessary to secure and maintain housing (including accessing employment and/or income benefits, linkages to medical care, mental health care, money management, etc.).
- Provide advocacy and assistance to clients for tasks related to their housing plan (such as housing search, meeting a prospective landlord, signing housing documents, attending appointments for income or health services, etc.).
- Keep accurate, current, and well written case notes and housing plans for every client.
- Collect and report client data as required per agency contracts and policies, including entering data and documents into HMIS and CalOptima Connect.
- Participate in case reviews and staff meetings as required. Communicate regularly with program staff regarding guest progress.
- Assess each client’s needs using agency provided tools and work with clients to create a housing plan that resolves homelessness.
- Model personal behaviors that reflect the problem solving, communication and life skills we expect of our guests.
- Provide housing navigation services in conjunction with all contract requirements and guidelines.
- Utilize a team approach in delivering services that quickly and efficiently resolve housing barriers.
- Respond to crises as needed and work with other Navigators and Program Manager to resolve client issues.
- Maintain positive and cooperative relationships with staff, partnering agencies, and community volunteers who provide services and support to the program.
- Participate in county wide meetings as a representative of Friendship Shelter as requested.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in case management or direct service required.
- Experience and/or credentials working with individuals with severe and persistent mental illness, substance use disorder, or other disabling conditions.
- Understanding and commitment to Client Centered, Harm Reduction, and Housing First models of service delivery.
- Degree in social work, related field, or equivalent experience.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Action-oriented and adaptable with excellent communication skills and organizational abilities.
- A collaborative, positive, and mature approach and an ethic of teamwork.
- Strong conflict resolution and de-escalation skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle with valid registration and insurance.
- Experience with navigating the local OC social service arena, such as Medi-Cal, food stamps/GR, ID services, social security, and homeless service providers preferred.
- Familiarity with Orange County Continuum of Care preferred.
- Working with clients in-person indoors.
- Driving personal vehicle to different locations to meet with clients.
- Shared office space with other coworkers.
- Working on a computer sitting at a desk.
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of job tasks performed while working for Friendship Shelter. It does not include all required job tasks and duties and they may change as business requires. It is also not designed to be a comprehensive list of all responsibilities or qualifications required of employees assigned to this job role.
Friendship Shelter is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment related to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other protected characteristic under federal, state, or local laws.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $24.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
People with a criminal record are encouraged to apply
Work Location: In person
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhilanthropyJobs.*