132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Research Assistant II - Leukemia
Research Assistant II - Leukemia
Full Job Description
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2019 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
This group has an excellent placement record of technicians in graduate programs for MS and Ph.D. degrees. We are greatly encouraging and supporting these efforts also by co-authorships of technical personal at all levels in our many publications.
MD Anderson Cancer Center is a global leader in the treatment of blood cancers. The Leukemia department is one of the most successful disease-specific cancer programs in the world, as well as one of the largest. As the largest medical academic department within the Cancer Medicine division, we have 29 clinical faculty and 20 research faculty. We have approximately 450 employees in the academic department, another 120 outpatient center employees and 150 inpatient employees all of whom support the leukemia research program. Our program sees over 2,000 new patients and 50,000 outpatient encounters each year, while maintaining an inpatient census over 120 patients per day. We have a special Fast Track Clinic for leukemia outpatients, to take care of treatment needs that don't require hospitalization.
- Maintains and establishes tissue culture cell lines which require good sterile techniques and the ability to observe and identify cell changes under the microscope, determine cell counts on the hemocytometer or coulter counter, performs colony counts or determine cell viability. Prepares sterile media and solutions.
- Monitors, and shelves tissue culture supplies to ensure efficient functioning. Prepare cells for cryogenic storage and reestablishment by the use of small vials, dry ice and liquid nitrogen.
- Isolates, purifies and analyzes, RNA, DNA and protein including hybridization, gel electrophoresis autoradiography, ECL staining, performing PCR reactions, quantitative RT-PCR assay, DNA sequencing and assays for signal transducing enzymes.
- Purification and conjugation of immunoglobulins. Should have basic knowledge of solution and buffer preparation in which ionic concentration and pH is critical. Should have basic training in use and safety of radioisotopes.
Laboratory Equipment and Maintenance
- Performs routine maintenance of ultra-low freezers, liquid nitrogen, C02 and water levels. Should be able to maintain equipment such as high-speed centrifuges, pH meters and microfuges.
- Manually operates and maintains the lab equipment. Visually reads equipment operation manuals and procedure manual whenever necessary. Must be able to lift and carry items up to 20-25 pounds and carry or move from one area of the lab to another by using a roller cart. Must be able to comply with all institutional safety policies including Universal Precautions and OSHA standards when handling toxic, hazardous, flammable, radioactive or potentially infectious or carcinogenic materials. This may require wearing common protective garments or equipment such as gloves, eye protection, face mask, gown or lab coat, etc. Additionally, some procedures may require the use of a fume hood or biological safety cabinet.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Required: One year experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 151890
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Work Location: Onsite
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 36,500
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 45,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 54,500
- Science Jobs: Yes
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhilanthropyJobs.*